Time Zones in Kenya
Do you want to travel to East Africa and you are wondering what is the time in Kenya now?
- Time Zones in Kenya
- How To Manually Calculate the Time Difference Between Kenya and the Rest of the World?
- How Does This Affect Your Travel Plans Then?
First of all, Kenya lies in the tropics and close to the Greenwich Meridian. For that reason, it doesn’t experience summer or winter seasons.
In addition to that, it doesn’t have any Daylight Saving Time but it observes Eastern Africa Time throughout the year. Most importantly, it lies in GMT +3.
This is one of the simplest things that you can complete in under sixty seconds.
To calculate the current time in Kenya, subtract your local UTC time zone from (+3), then add the result to your local time. Here are a few examples:
a) Let’s start with New York City which lies in UTC (-5).
– Calculate the UTC time difference between the local times of the two places starting with the time zone that you want to find out. i.e (+3) – (-5) = +8
– Secondly, add the result to your current local time or the local time of the starting location (In this case, New York). Let’s assume the current time in New York is 8:00 am, Tuesday. Adding eight hours to 8:00 am will be 4:00 pm, Tuesday.
– This means that when it’s 8:00 am in Queens, New York, it is 4:00 pm in Westlands, Nairobi.
b) How about London which lies in GMT/UTC?
– Starting with the time difference between London and Nairobi i.e (+3)-0 = +3
– Then we add the result to the local time in London. Let’s assume that the time in London is 8:00 am, Tuesday. Adding three hours to 8:00 am gives us 11:00 am.
– Therefore, when it’s 8:00 am, Tuesday in London, the relative time in Nairobi and Kenya as a whole is 11:00 am, Tuesday.
c) Lastly, How about Japan which lies to the east of Kenya?
– Japan lies in the GMT +9. Therefore we start by subtracting 9 from 3. i.e (+3) – (+9) = -6
– Like in the above examples we add the result to the local Japanese time and let’s assume it 8:00 am, Tuesday in Japan. Adding (-6) which is the same as subtracting 6 hours from 8:00 am, Tuesday gives at 2:00 am, Tuesday.
– Therefore, this implies that when it’s 8:00 am on Tuesday in Japan, the relative time in Kenya is 2:00 am, Tuesday.
If you want to travel to Kenya for a vacation or for whichever purpose, you then have to be conscious of your departure time. This depends on whether you want to arrive in Nairobi at night or during the day.
For instance, a direct flight from New York to Nairobi takes 15 hours. Being that Kenya is ahead of NY by 8 hours, the total time difference would be 23 hours. This means that if you want to arrive in Nairobi at 10:00 am, you have to leave New York at 11:00 am.
Lastly, if you are traveling from the East i.e Japan you also have to factor the time difference. A flight from Japan to Kenya takes 14 hrs and 30 mins. Therefore, the total time difference is 8hrs 30 mins because Japan is ahead of Kenya by 6 hrs. This means that for you to arrive in Nairobi at 10:00 am, you have to leave Tokyo at 1:30 am.
Great! With this knowledge, you can now DIY from anywhere in the World.